This post may contain affiliate links.
I got home to this amazing, and beautiful, Thai green curry with fish balls one night this week and it was a welcome comfort after a long day. My wife made it, using her typical green curry recipe with bamboo shoots and stevia instead of palm sugar. It's surprisingly good, like the fake crab we eat a lot. It's a really easy recipe with all the soothing, flavors of green curry and the ease of pre-made fish balls as a different protein to change things up.
Making homemade fish balls and curry paste. You can do it the easy way with premade ingredients, or you can make your own fish balls with a recipe such as this. We will come up with a healthier version of homemade fish balls. In the meantime, use your imagination. Use google too, just make sure you read the ingredients and nutritional label if you buy premade. Some are healthy, some, not so much. I found these with a quick google search, but Mod usually gets them from our local Asian grocery store.
Green Curry Paste
You can also make your own green curry paste. We honestly like premade fine but we do have a recipe for that if you want to spend the time. It is better and healthier. It just takes time.
Thai green curry with fish balls
- ½ pound Fish balls Or whatever you prefer
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Green curry paste Or whatever you prefer
- 1 ½ cups Light coconut milk
- 1 tsp. Stevia
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Mushrooms We used king mushrooms
- ½ cup Bamboo Shoots 2 small cans worth or 1 big can
- ½ cup Thai basil
Green Curry Sauce
- Heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry green curry paste until fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk and water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the fish balls and cook evenly on each side.
- Add in the mushrooms and bamboo shoots and stir-fry in until soft.
- Simply serve the fish balls piping hot with Thai green curry sauce over it and garnished with the Thai basil leaves.