This post may contain affiliate links.
Today is St. Patrick's Day and someone was talking about a Shepherd's pie he had at an Irish Pub. I started thinking about going to the pub and then realized it would make a perfect green curry fusion dish. Shepherd's pie was traditionally made with mutton. I used a 97% lean turkey breast in this Thai version of Shepherd's pie for the healthier option. I also made it healthier by adding some cauliflower to the typical mashed potatoes. I replaced canola oil as a substitution for butter and vegan cheese as well.
Adjusting the Spice Level
I used about 2 tablespoons of Green curry. You can hardly taste it at that mild, 1 out of 5 heat levels. You can use 3, 4, or 5 tablespoons of green curry paste if you prefer a bit more spice. I think if I do it over I will do more next time. For the American taste buds though I think less is okay. Without further ado here is the recipe.
Healthy Green Curry Shepherd's Pie
- Dutch oven or casserole dish
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoon green curry paste
- 2 cups green peas
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 3 potatoes Skinned and sliced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoon turkey
- ½ cup Low fat cheese Optional
- 1 red onion Chopped
Potatoe Cauliflower Topping
- Boil the potatoes and cauliflower with enough water to cover them until they are soft.
- Once the potatoes and cauliflower are soft drain the water and mash them.
- Saute the curry paste on medium-high in the oil.
- Add in the soy sauce
Meat and Veggies
- Add in the veggies other than the cauliflower and potatoes and sautee until cooked.
- Add in the meat and sautee until cooked through.
- Pour the meat and veggies into a dutch oven or casserole dish and cover with the mashed potatoes and cauliflower and smooth it out and create a bit of texture on top.
- Add cheese if you want cheese and bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees and be careful taking it out! Hot!
Leave a Reply