Stir-Fried Zucchini Noodles, Zoodles
Stir-Fried Zucchini Noodles, Zoodles, are a lower carb option for your noodle fix. I love stir-frying noodles more than almost any other Thai style dish. The problem is that all the carbs are pushing my HDL and LDL levels past normal limits on my yearly labs. The invention of zoodles is a possible solution for this. I am not a Paleo guy or Atkins or anything like that, my doctor simply recommended lowering my carb intake and increasing cardio to balance things out.
The challenge we have found with zoodles is that they cook differently and have different strengths and weaknesses. The thing I like about them is they have a little crunch, when done right. It adds a neat dimension. You can also add more color to your dish with them, as squash comes in different colors.
The downside, as with all things way healthier is that I didn't find the flavor quite as satisfying before adding some sauces. I used a coconut amino sauce which gave it a wonderful flavor, but squash is squash otherwise, so you may want to have your sauces ready. Coconut aminos are great because they have way less sodium and are packed with the building blocks of protein. I found them at Whole Foods.
Stir-fried zucchini noodles with Chicken and Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ cup ginger chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breast chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 jalapenos chopped
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 10 oz zucchini cut into zoodle spirals
- 10 oz yellow squash cut into zoodle spirals
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- Heat olive oil in a wok on high heat.
- When oil is hot add chopped garlic and ginger into the wok and stir-fry until golden.
- Add sliced chicken breast and cook until no longer pink.
- Add jalapenos and mushrooms and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add squash, fish sauce and stir-until the squash is softer.
- Serve garnished with lime, cilantro, parsley or whatever you like and with sauce as needed.
If you like zoodles you might also like one of these recipes.
As always, we make our healthy Thai recipes as healthy as we can but when in doubt check it out if you have special concerns. We would love to hear what you think and for you to share our recipes if you like them. Thanks for reading our humble blog. 🙂