This post may contain affiliate links.
Masaman curry one of the five famous Thai curries that you will find in most Thai restaurants. This curry has an influence from Malaysia and India cuisine. Some of you might not know, but Masaman is not a Thai word. Some claims state that it is derived from the word "masam" in Malaysia, and it means sour and some says "masaman" is derived from the word "Mussulman" which is an old word of Muslim.
Masaman curry has a very an fragrant and elegant scent. My home smells wonderful when I cook this meal. It's not only the spices in the curry that make this recipe mouthwatering, but the hint of the tamarind juice that also enhances the flavor in the curry.
There are so many products and brands of ready to cook masaman curry paste, but I think alternatively that we should know and be able to make our homemade curry paste, too. The main reason to make it yourself is for control of the preservatives and other unhealthy ingredients. Thus research and came up with our own homemade masaman curry recipe with lower sodium. We hope you will enjoy the recipe as we do.
- 6 dried Thai chili, soaked in water
- 2 tsp salt
- 10 black pepper whole
- 2 tsp finely chopped galanga, pan roasted on medium heat
- 2 tablespoon chopped lemongrass, pan roasted on medium heat
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, pan roasted on medium heat
- 2 tsp caraway seeds, pan roasted on medium heat
- 2 cloves, pan roasted on medium heat
- 1 tsp kaffir lime leaves chopped
- 2 tsp cilantro stem, chopped
- 4 oz. shallots, oven broil at 400 Fahrenheit degree for 20 minutes
- 2 bulbs garlic, oven broil at 400 Fahrenheit degree for 20 minutes
Yield about 10 tbsp
- Get a mortar, pestle, and blender ready.
- Add dried Thai chili, black pepper, and salt into the mortar and crush the ingredients with the pestle.
- Put galanga, lemongrass, coriander seeds, caraway seeds, and cloves and smash all of them really good.
- Next, add kaffir lime leaves, cilantro stems, shallots, and garlic in and smush those ingredients together until they become smooth. At this point, you can transfer the paste to the blender and use the blender to blend all the ingredients together.
Leave a Reply