This post may contain affiliate links.
Copycat Pei Wei Super Green Thai Curry
Foods that have a full and rich flavor like curry are one of the comfort foods for our family. We have never had enough of it. My husband told me several times that he can eat curry every day. I believe him, based on our eating experience.
Recently, we went to Pei Wei, and he ordered the "super green Thai curry". He loved the curry and asked me to cook it for him sometime. Cooking the green curry is nothing for me, I have done it so many times that I can close my eyes and do it, just kidding, that wouldn't be safe :). I tasted his Pei Wei green curry and realized it was a little bit different from my Thai green curry.
Pei Wei super green curry
First of all, the curry broth is not as green as mine, so I guess that they don't put a lot of green curry paste in it. Pei Wei green curry has a taste of ginger which is not a typical thing for the original Thai green curry. As a Thai woman, first I was offended by that. But after had another or two of the bites I think it has a very interesting combination, and I liked it.
We took photos of the Pei Wei curry to see what ingredients they put in it. I went to the Pei Wei website to look at the detail of the dish and tried to make it as close as the original (Pei Wei style.) According to their recipe, it has...
- Chicken or any choice of meat
- shredded carrot
- green beans
- Swiss chard (which I couldn't find it at my local grocery store, so I used spinach bunch - the wavy leaf ones)
- green onion
- cilantro, and so on which I put in the printable recipe at the bottom
And the result of the super green Thai curry came out as not as I expected. My version didn't have a strong ginger taste like the Pei Wei, but it's not a fail. We still loved the curry that I made and we ended up ate it by the end of that night. You can add a bit more ginger to get a little closer than we did if you like. The curry broth was just right. The green beans were crunchy and tasty. The spinach soaked up the curry broth and gave such a wonderful taste.
Overall, we were happy with it. I am glad that we went to Pei Wei, and my husband ordered the green curry that night. No, they are not paying us to do this post. I experienced a new version of the green curry that I never had before. It's an eye open for me that the food or recipes don't have to be so traditional all the time. It's about the good combination and open mind.
Printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
If you like this recipe, you may like
Here the printable recipe!
- 1 lb. sliced chicken
- 0.5 lb. green beans cut them into 1 ½ - 2 inches long
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup Swiss chard, or any green leaf you like*
- 3-4 oz. sliced onion
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon sliced ginger**
- ½ tablespoon thin sliced lemongrass
- 2 tablespoon green curry paste
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch mix with ½ tablespoon of water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 ml lite coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups of water
- cilantro and green onion for decoration
- Put garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and 1 ½ tablespoon of water in a blender and blend them well. Put it on a side.
- Heat a pot on medium, add olive oil and green curry paste and stir-fry the paste just about 30 - 45 seconds.
- Add half portion of lite coconut milk (200 ml) and sliced chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer in pink color.
- Add the rest of the lite coconut milk and the water and wait until the curry is boiling then add green beans and the mixture of the garlic, ginger, and lemongrass.
- Cook the green beans for 3-4 minutes, then add the shredded carrot, Swiss chard (any green leaf), onion, and a cornstarch mixture. Let them cook for another couple minutes.
- Put Thai basil leaves in the pot and turn the stove off. Stir the pot to let the basil leaves soak in the curry broth.
- Decorate the curry with cilantro and green onion. Enjoy the curry by itself or serve it with steamed brown rice.
Thanks again for your interest in healthy Thai recipes! Please make sure to subscribe, follow us on our social media and share our content!