This post may contain affiliate links.
10 of the Healthiest Thai Recipes
Thai food recipes are some of the healthiest recipes in the world. That is not to say that in general Thai food healthy though. I have heard that so often, "Isn't Thai food really healthy" or "Asians are always so thin". While it is true that Asians, including Thai people, are more often thin than Westerners, they often have type II diabetes. This is because of the white rice in their diet which is hard on the pancreas with it's high glycemic index.
Furthermore, recent research is showing that diets higher in carbohydrates can lead to high cholesterol. This is because more of our bodies cholesterol is being manufactured rather than coming from our diets. Even eggs seem to have made a come back and agencies are backing off warnings to avoid egg yolks.
Personally, I am going for recipes focused mainly on protein and vegetables. My doctor even noticed my cholesterol is a bit high and recommended I go for more protein and ease off the carbs. For that reason, I am going to be including several salads. There is also recent research that people who eat salads daily have significantly less aging of the brain. If you know something I should know, please help by commenting in the section for comments at the bottom of this post! 🙂
Here is my Top 10 List
10. Pla goong has been called the single healthiest Thai recipe. When we were researching this recipe it popped up as that a couple times. I am not sure sure because of the cholesterol in the shrimp. It is certainly one of the lower calorie options. It also has the benefit of lots of flavor on a small plate and you feel kind of fancy because it looks so fancy.
9. Yams have a lower glycemic index than tubers usually do and they are surprisingly delicious on a salad. They give a salad a hearty flavor.
8. Kale has been called a superfood for a long time with it's high amounts of anti-oxidants, fiber and other nessesary nutrients. The dressing in this recipe is also healthier than usual.
7. Panang curry makes this salmon taste amazing, making sure you get your omega fatty acids. This isn't one you can eat daily due to mercury concerns but you have to get your deep sea fish. Pesco vegetarians live longer than any other diet group. Likely, because of the healthy fats we need.
Panang Curry Salmon, Get your omega fatty acids with the full flavors of Thailand
6. This is my wife's favorite Thai recipe and she makes it every week. It doesn't hurt because the enzymes in the papaya are known to help digestion. The evidence is very strong too. You'll have to try this one. If your not from Thailand you'll probably want to leave the fish paste and shrimp paste out though.
5. Chocolate protein shakes have been my new daily food. It used to be Taco Bell chicken burritos when I am working until I just found out my cholesterol is high. I am blaming the tortillas and crap they put in the sauces. Chocolate milk has been found recently to be one of best if not THE BEST recovery drink according to recent research. Add the potassium of bananas and I'll be having one of these daily if I can. The little Thai bananas make it more interesting.
4. My dad always says to eat colorful foods for the anti-oxidant effects. More colorful fruits and vegetables tend to be higher in anti-oxidants. He followed Bruce Aimes research on anti-oxidants for the longest time and I think he'd approve of this colorful salad as something you could eat every day and be healthier for it.
3. Tumeric chicken combines the anti-inflamatory properties of turmeric with the highest source of lean protein of any meats. Plus, it has been one of our most popular recipes which puts it high on my list.
2. Thai herb soup is my number 2 because I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past 5 years and think there is really something there. I used this as part of my regimen and started it after hearing new evidence that won me over for its health effects.
1. My favorite for this list is jungle curry. It is often rated the number 1 healthy curry because it is basically just vegetables and protein in a delicious broth. The only thing you might have to watch with this dish is the sodium.
Thai Jungle Curry, Kaeng Pa, Made With Healthier Ingredients
Thanks for being interested in Healthy Thai Recipes! Please subscribe, follow and share our content! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Leave a Reply