Nom Sod is a dish I first tried at a restaurant here in the Houston area called, Ploy. It’s a super simple recipe you can do with whole food ingredients and keep it as simple as you want. You can also make it with chicken breast like they did in the restaurant although it is traditionally a pork dish. I did it with chicken breast.
Simple Whole Food Ingredients
You can make the ingredients more complex if you like the process of cooking. I used pickle juice to marinate the minced chicken for a while and it was dynamite. The beauty of the recipe is how simple you can make it though. I asked the people waitress at Ploy to tell me how they make it and she laughed and said she can’t but stated that it’s just 4 ingredients really. You can tell though that they went in for more than that. Go as far as you want.
Making it Juicy
After I started destroying the salad, I realized I wished I left more of the marinade I poured into the drain when I separated the meat out for cooking. You could save it when you separate it out and pour it back in after cooking the meat. I think the salad was actually looking better the more I dug in. As is often the case, the marinade is the best part and I slurped up the last bets and wanted more.
The only ingredients you really need are the limes, ginger or ginger paste, chilis, chicken breasts, peanuts, onions and lettuce. You can always garnish as you like and marinate the chicken that way as well. I used three chicken breasts and minced them by just cutting them up with a cooking knife. I used a Boston lettuce for a more nutrient dense lettuce and there were no purple onions so I used what I could find which was white onions sliced into strips. 1
Nam Sod Made with Chicken Breast, Marinated Minced Chicken over Lettuce
- Wok or skillet
- 3 Chicken breasts Minced
- 1 Cup Pickle Juice Optional, I used picked jalapeño juice
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Minced
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce Optional, you could replace with low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Paste or grated
- 2 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Chili paste Optional
- 1/2 Cup Carrots Shredded or Julienned
- 1 Tbsp Black pepper Ground black pepper
- 1 Lime In thinly sliced wedges
- 1 Cup Cilantro Leaves only
- 1/2 Cup Onion Sliced into slivers
- 1 Head Lettuce Pulled apart
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts Unsalted
- If you want to marinate the chicken first do so for at least 15 minutes and separate in a colander saving the juice if you like it juicier.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat and add the minced chicken breasts and cook until browned, adding the ground black pepper and mixing in.
- Drain the fat off of it and if you want to make it tangier you can add the marinade back in and reduce just a little, making sure to keep the minced chicken separated by breaking it up and adding the sliced onions in.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Break apart the head of lettuce and place on plates as the base.
- Combine the salad ingredients, peanuts, chicken with onions and season with dressing garnishing as desired with the carrots.