This post may contain affiliate links.
How to Open a Jackfruit
Jackfruit is a massive fruit you can find in much of Southeast Asia. Fruit is always one of the healthiest options for our diets. This may be the most interesting and Epicurean adventure when it comes to getting to the actual meat of a fruit.
Where to Find Jackfruit
It is increasingly available at supermarkets. We bought ours here in Houston. It was a crazy $18 but the novelty of the experience it provided was worth it. We had a friend in town and my wife's Thai background always makes for good entertainment here. You can now find it on amazon.com as well by clicking the link here.
What You'll Need
As I mentioned before, this is one of the most challenging fruits you'll ever enjoy opening. You will have a better experience if you have the following.
- A large plastic bag or tarp to place under the fruit.
- A large, sharp knife
- Several bowls for both the fruit and the seeds
- Some oil or gloves for your hands to keep the sticky substance from getting too annoying.
- Several friends who are good at telling jokes and stories!! 🙂 🙂
What you are going for is the palm sized pieces that look like this. The seed is inside and you might want to get it out before it's ready to serve. You can put them in a bowl for a later recipe you will want to stay tuned for. 😉
Opening the Fruit
- First, you make sure to place the fruit on a large plastic bag or tarp, preferably outside.
- Next, gather your friends, family, neighbors, whoever you can round up to help.
- Cut the fruit length wise in half.
- Wash and oil your hands a little or wear gloves.
- Dig in and pull out the fruit, seeding it and placing it in bowls.
- Share the fruit with everyone!!