This post may contain affiliate links.
Kabocha is a delicious ingredient, and this Easy Stir-Fried Kabocha Squash and Shrimp recipe does it justice. The savory texture of the kabocha compliments that of shrimp, and the colors also seem meant to be. Kabocha is one of the sweetest squash, and it makes a good fall decor, making it double valuable.
You can stir-fry however you want, with just the squash and some garlic, onions and seasoning, or you can go more elaborate. Stir-frying is one of the easiest and healthiest ways to cook. It's low on carbs, so if you are trying to cut those back, it's a good choice.
Adapting to Your Preferences
You can use what you have, and leave out stuff that adds sodium, or change the protein to something you prefer. Tofu, chicken, or whatever you like work well in this. Just remember it's a sweet squash.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 1 Pound Shrimp- $12
- 4 Garlic cloves $.30
- 1 Onion $.50
- 1 teaspoon Stevia $.25
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil $.10
- 1 tablespoon ginger $.10
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice $.10
- ½ cup Thai basil $1.00
- 2 cups Kabocha $5
- 2 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce $.10
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce $.10
Total: ~ $20.00, Estimated costs are subject to seasonality and availability.
Easy Stir-Fried Kabocha Squash and Shrimp
- Wok or skillet
- 1 lb Shrimp Peeled
- 4 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Yellow onion Small
- 1 teaspoon Stevia
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 2 tablespoon Ginger Minced/Chopped, about 1 inch piece
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice Fresh, about 1 lemon's juice
- ½ cup Thai basil
- 2 cups Kabocha Cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoon Soy sauce Lite or reduced sodium if possible
- 2 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- Prepare the shrimp by rinsing it and placing it on a paper towel next to the other ingredients at the wok.
- Heat the wok with the oil on high heat and add the minced garlic, stir-frying until brown, 30 seconds to a minute. Careful not to burn.
- Add the shrimp and cook for about a minute, stir-frying so as not to burn it.
- Add in the Kabocha and continue to stir-fry.
- Stir in the ginger, lemon juice, basil leaves, stevia, onions, and stir-fry for another 30 seconds to a minute, or, until the onions are transparent, and cooked through.
- Add in the sauce at the end, so as not to burn, and stir-fry in for another 30 seconds to a minute.
- Serve with the sauce, garlic and spices on top with cilantro and/or lemon wedges.
Leave a Reply