Thai-Pho Fusion Beef Noodle Soup is something we came up with for a friend who likes pho. I researched a little to see how similar a Thai beef noodle soup was to a Vietnamese Pho. Turns out they are super similar. There are common ingredients like fish sauce, and pretty much everything so I just used healthier ingredients with less saturated fat and sodium. I also added the typical vegetables you get with pho.
Thai-Pho Fusion Beef Noodle Soup
- Medium Sized Pot
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Lb Round Steak Round eye is a leaner cut, cut into strips
- 1 Lb Lean ground beef I used beyond meat
- 4 Tbsp Garlic Chopped
- 1 Cup celery Chopped
- ½ Cup Green onions Chopped
- 3 Pints Beef stock Low sodium
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Tbsp Fish sauce Lower sodium if possible
- 2 Cups Whole wheat noodles Wet noodles for a more traditional experience but less healthy
- 2 Tbsp White Vineger
- 2 Cups Bean sprouts
- 1 Cup Cilantro Fresh with leaves pulled apart from stems
- 2 Cups Thai basil
- 5 Jalapeños Sliced long wise and in circles
- 1 Cup Red onion Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Chili flakes Thai chili flakes preferably, see our recipe
- 1 Cup Chili Paste
- In the wok on medium-high, stir-fry the beef strips in oil until medium brown.
- Remove the beef strips and place to the side on a plate to top the soup with later.
- Stir-fry the garlic until golden brown.
- Add in the ground beef, celery, green onions and stir fry until browned
- Add in the beef stock, black pepper, cinnamon sticks and fish sauce, stirring in and then bringing to a boil.
- In the pot with several cups of water, boil the noodles and then drain in a colander and set aside.
- Serve the soup with toppings on the side for customization
Thai-Pho Fusion Beef Noodle Soup Is a great way to enjoy the best of both neighborhoods of southeast Asian in one dish. It was loosely adapted from this Thai beef noodle recipe with Vietnamese Pho elements added in. If you like noodle soup dishes you might also like one of these.