Tom Ka Gai Rice- Ginger Coconut Rice With Chicken
Tom Ka Gai Khoa is a recipe I figured out and made before realizing that it had been done. I actually did it several times and wasn’t satisfied with the appearance. I realized I would just have to make it look more interesting with garnish. It’s really a super easy recipe you can do in minutes. It makes your home smell great due to the rice we chose for this recipe and the ginger in the mix. It’s relatively healthy too as is.
If you translate the name of this literally the words translate to Boiled Galanga Chicken Rice. It doesn’t tell you about the other ingredients in here. Like so many aspects of the Thai language, it is so so different it just really doesn’t translate right. It has to be one of the hardest languages to get from English. We used a rice cooker because it makes it so effortless. You can also obviously just boil it in a pot though like you normally cook dry rice.
The brand Taste of Thai makes a Tom Ka Gai soup mix which they package to be very enticing. I couldn’t resist it at the store and have been playing with it with the rice cooker. I linked the amazon product so you can buy it or at least see it above.
Here is the video of my recipe and I will put the written ingredients and instructions below that. Please subscribe to our youtube channel too if your a You Tuber. 🙂
- 1 pound lean chicken, chicken breast
- 2 cups jasmine brown rice
- 2 packets of Taste of Thai Coconut Ginger Soup Mix
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil for the bottom of the rice cooker or sauce pan
- Garnish: 2 green onions chopped, 1/4th cup chopped cilantro and finely sliced Thai peppers.
- Put the oil in the bottom of the rice cooker or pot.
- Add the other ingredients and hit the brown rice button. If using a stove just bring to a boil and then turn down to medium low.
- Garnish with cilantro, chopped green onion and Thai peppers.
As always, If you have special dietary needs consult with your doctor. We are not dietitians, doctors or nutritionists. Please let us know any ideas for making this healthier, easier or more attractive. Subscribe to our mailing list and YouTube channel so you never miss a new way to make your diet healthier without sacrificing taste or adventure. 🙂
If you like this recipe you might also like one of these. 🙂