Tab Tim Grob (ทับทิมกรอบ)
Tab tim grob is a desert which is extremely common in Thailand and often served with shaved ice to help cope with the warm humid climate of Thailand.
This recipe is pretty simple to make. Basically you just heat some sweetener in coconut cream just enough to mix the sweetener in. Pour over shaved ice or regular ice if that’s all you have, add pomegranate seeds or fake pomegranate seeds which you will see below as I elaborate on this recipe. You can also add coconut pulp or fermented coconut pulp cubes which is what we used and they taste delicious and have a lot of health benefits.
- • 1 pomegranate
- • 1 can lite coconut milk (13.5 fl.oz.)
- • 1 cup Stevia
- • 1 can of nata de coco or just regular coconut pulp (optional)
- • Sliced jackfruit (optional)
Ingredients for Mock Pomegranate
- 1 can of water chestnut.
- Beet juice to give the color or raspberry extract.
- Tapioca starch.
- Heat the lite coconut milk with Stevia until the sweetener has had time to mix into the coconut milk.
- Allowed to cool and pour over shaved ice in a cup or in a serving bowl.
- Mix in the coconut pulp, nata or jackfruit if you want and the pomegranate seeds or fake pomegranate seeds.
- Optionally you can dilute with silk coconut milk to your desired taste to reduce the amount of saturated fat that naturally occurs in coconut cream.
- Serve in a glass or in a bowl with a spoon and be ready for it to all be gone.
- If pomegranate is not in season you can slice up water chestnuts into small cubes and soak in beet juice and then roll in tapioca starch to make fake pomegranate seeds. See below.
To make mocking pomegranate
- Cut water chestnuts into ¼
- Soak water chestnuts in beet juice for 10 minutes
- Put water chestnuts into tapioca starch and mix them well. Make sure all sides covered by the starch.
- Boil water on medium-high. Put coated water chestnuts into the boiling water one by one. Scoop the floating water chestnuts and put them in a cold water bowl.
- Drain the water chestnuts, as they become mock pomegranate and they ready to serve with the other ingredients.