This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy Thai Style Stir Fried Macaroni with Chicken (ผัดมักโรนีไก่)
What is Thai style stir fried macaroni? Is it such a thing? When we are talking about macaroni, we tend to think about Western or Italian recipes. But not anymore!
Stir-fried macaroni is an all time favorite dish for any kids and adults. It has a sweet taste from ketchup and fresh tomatoes which kids love. No worries for adults who like their food spicy, we can add some hot sauce such as Sriracha sauce in the recipe. That is the reason why stir fried macaroni is the most-liked menu for a whole family.
If you have a chance to visit Thailand and to stop at any cooked to order local restaurants, you'll find stir fried macaroni as one of the items in the menu. Cooking this dish makes me miss my little sister so much. Stir-fried macaroni is one of her favorite foods. I remember our childhood; there was a restaurant in an old city of Chiang Mai (where I grew up), and every time we were there she would order this dish all the time. I'm not kidding, EVERY TIME.
Macaroni is a good source of carbohydrates. If we add some of vegetables and protein along with it, we can have a dish that is full of nutrients. I think it is a easy choice for us because you do not have to prepare any side dishes which saves your time and money.
Some of you may concerned about the amount of carbohydrate in the pasta. I am a pasta and noodle junkie. I love, love carbs!!!! I know it is not a good thing and that carbs tend to turn into fat.
Thank goodness for all kinds of whole wheat and whole grain pasta and noodle. My (bad) eating habit is fixed with these products. Carbs are not the problem they were when you choose whole grain ones. Here is the recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. ^-^
- • 1 box whole grain elbows macaroni (16 oz.).
- • 1 lb sliced chicken breast.
- • 1 whole egg and 2 white eggs (skip these ingredients if you prefer dairy free version.)
- • 1 ½ medium yellow onion.
- • 3 medium tomatoes.
- • 4 green onion stalks.
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil for pasta., 3 tablespoon for stir fry.
- • 6 tablespoon low sodium Ketchup
- • 4 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- • ½ tablespoon Truvia
- • ½ teaspoon salt
- Boiling water in a pot for cooking macaroni, drain the hot water from cooked macaroni and mix them with olive oil. (To coat the macaroni, so they won’t get dry.)
- Heat a wok with medium high, add olive oil.
- After the oil is hot, add sliced chicken. Cook until the chicken change color from pink-ish to white.
- Scoop the chicken to the side of the wok (like the photo above), then add eggs in the wok, scramble the egg till it’s cooked.
- Add cooked macaroni, ketchup, Sriracha, Truvia, and salt, stir them all, then add the vegetables.
- Stir fry until the vegetables are soft. Turn off the stove.
- Serve with the extra of ketchup and Sriracha sauce on side.
Leave a Reply