Shredded Chicken Sriracha Flatbread
Have you ever gone to a grocery store shopping and ended buying more things than you should period. Sometimes you may even do this even though you had a list? I did. I know I should have stuck with my list, but some items at the grocery just had an incredible price. I think it is one of the reasons why I always come up with new recipes. I like to use all the supplies I have in my refrigerator and pantry. To compensate for my bad over-spending behavior, I try not to waste food. So...my husband and I love pizza. Too bad we can not eat it as much as we want. 🙂 Well, for the sake of being able to eat pizza I am so thankful we have a flatbread as an alternate food choice.
Why (whole wheat) flatbread?
Flatbread is another option if you want to control the number calories in your food. Hang on!! It can not be whatever flatbread you find at a grocery store. I would heartily recommend you buy a hearty whole grain flatbread. If you are not familiar with whole wheat or whole grain bread, it has a pleasant texture you might be pleasently suprised with. But believe me, when time goes by, you would not feel it at all.
Whole wheat bread has less Glycemic Index number to compare with enriched white bread. That means it converts to blood sugar more slowly and is not as hard on your pancreas. It is also full of nutrients like protein, iron, calcium, and fiber which is can prevent you from constipation. With the low number of Glycemic Index, it can reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity.
Please, be careful when you buy whole wheat products. Sometimes you see those products label like multigrain, mix grains, 12 or 8 grains, or organic it does not mean those products are made from whole wheat. Do not let them fool you! Check the ingredients list to see if the products are made from whole wheat or whole grain or not.
Ok. Back to my recipe which is Shredded Chicken Sriracha Flatbread. I always want and enjoy cooking Western food with a flare of Thai or Asian flavor. For this recipe I added Sriracha sauce to put some tangy and spicy flavor in the recipe. I also added some broccoli and red onion on it. You can add anything you want because cooking is an art and art is subjective. Check in your fridge if there is anything you need to use before it will go bad like kale, spinach, red bell pepper, white onion, etc. That is one of the beautiful things about this recipe.
Here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy it, and please let me know or show your version or as always comment below!!
- • 2 whole grain flatbread
- • 4 oz. shredded chicken
- • 2 oz. boiled broccoli
- • 2 oz. cut red onion
- • 3 tablespoon tomato purees
- • 3 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- • 1 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- Turn the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spay a cooking sheet with olive oil spray.
- Place 2 sheets of whole grain flatbread.
- Mix tomato purees with Sriracha sauce.
- Use 1 tablespoon of the mixing sauce and combine it with shredded chicken.
- Use the rest of the mixing sauce spread it on the 2 flatbread.
- Cover the flatbread with shredded mozzarella cheese (¼ cup for each flatbread)
- Place boiled broccoli , red onion, and the shredded chicken on top of the shredded cheese.
- Top the last layer with the rest of shredded mozzarella.
- Place the cooking sheet in the oven for 5 - 6 minutes.Fus
Use shredded chicken or cubed chicken as desired.
I was craving cheese, so I put a lot of it in this recipe, problably too much. Adjust the amount as you desire.