Thai Panang Basil Chicken Pizza on a Whole Wheat Crust
We have made a few pizzas with Thai ingredients in the past and they have always been good. Tonight I went with panang curry, an organic pizza sauce with a lower glycemic index and some mushrooms, basil paste and a basil wok oil and it only took me about 10 minutes to throw it all together while the oven heated up.
I went with a thin whole wheat crust I found at Target last week which came in a square shape. I always go with thin crust because you get so many calories from pizza as it is. You can adjust the amount of basil and curry you add based on what you know about how much you like the flavors. Curry tends to be what is spicy in Thai food so if you are wary of the spice factor maybe go with half the curry. You can always add the pepper flakes on top if it’s too bland.
- 1 jar pizza sauce, preferably a low glycemic one.
- 1 Whole wheat pizza thin crust.
- 1 bag mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- 1 bag mixed shredded, cheese.
- 1-2 Tablespoons Panang curry, depending on how spicy you want it.
- A hand full of fresh basil leaves or 2 tbsp basil paste.
- 1 can chunk chicken breast or protein of choice.
- Olive oil, safflower oil and/or basil wok oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Heat the oven to 10-12 minutes
- Spray the wok oil or tbsp olive oil on the pizza or cookie pan in a thin layer
- Spread a dime sized layer of tomato sauce over the crust
- Add the basil paste or leaves in a thin layer
- Prepare the chicken by quickly stir frying it with the panang curry paste until the chicken is covered
- Add the chicken to the pizza spreading in a thin layer
- Spread the mushrooms over the pizza evenly
- Sprinkle on the cheese in an even layer covering the whole pizza except the very edges
- Spray another layer of wok oil on top of the pizza, optional
- Cook for 10 - 12 minutes
7. Spray with a light layer of Thai Basil Wok oil if you want a lot of basil flavor and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes if it’s a thin crust.
8. Serve with your choice of garnish and enjoy!