Healthy Stirfried Basil Pad Kra Pao
Pad Kra Pao
An interesting and useful fact about Thai food is that any time you see the word Pad you know it is stir fried. This is a dish you will need a nice, large wok with and some healthy oil such as an olive oil or at least a canola oil.
- 3-4 Large Egg Whites unless your a vegan and then you don’t need this
- 2 Chicken Breasts or vegan equivalent cut into small pieces
- 1 Bundle of Thai Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive oil
- 2 Bags of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice, Whole Grain Version
- 1 Tablespoon of Stevia
- 1 Tablespoon of Fish Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Oyster Sauce
- 1 Bundle of Long Beans, Asian Style cut into a manageable size
- 8 Thai Peppers
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- Chili Paste as needed
- First Fry the egg whites in the olive oil, remove the yolks with a spoon if possible. Then Put the egg whites and oil in separate bowls for later.
2. Pound the Garlic and Thai chili with a mortar and pestle or if your the typical American and don’t have those you can buy garlic paste and just cut the peppers up really small with scissors.
3. Cut the stems off the basil.
4. Use the heated oil from frying the egg whites and stir fry the garlic and peppers until cooked but not burnt.
5. Throw in the protein and stir fry for 2-3 minutes on medium high.
6. Add the oyster sauce, fish sauce, stevia, soy sauce and stir as well as the long beans and stir fry.
7. Throw in the basil and stir for about a minute more until the basil is fragrant and wilted and it should be ready. 🙂 Serve with the egg on the side and the chili paste and rice on the side with lime wedges and a sprig of basil for presentation.