Easy Bok Choy Tofu (ผัดผักกวางตุ้งใส่เต้าหู้)
Hi, everyone. This is Mod.
Last month I trained myself about eating discipline. I dedicated not to eat meat or any kind of meat product for one month. Can you imagine 30 days without meat?? As a meat eater, It was a huge commitment for me, and for that, I respect all people who don’t eat meat.
It was a very tempting period for me because I love meat. Thanks for Adam for supporting by not to eat meat when he was around me (even though he forgot about it and called me during his grocery trips and asked if I wanted anything meat-wise.)
I was intimidated when I cooked vegetarian food. Why? I think it could be about my taste buds; they are used to meat. Boo! I blame them for that.
One day I was so hungry, and I did not have any leftover in the fridge or anything that looked appeal for me in a pantry. I went to a grocery store near my home, and I found fresh bok choy. Yay!!! Bok choy is one of the Asian vegetables that we can find pretty in every grocery store in the U.S. Even though bok choy is not original Thai vegetable, but it is quite popular in Southeast Asia where Thailand region is.
I love bok choy because it has a sweet taste and crunchy texture. It is good for stir-fry, soup, steamed, or just eat it fresh. Bok choy is an inexpensive vegetable with high nutrients such as vitamin C, Phosphorus, Calcium, Iron, Fiber, and Beta-carotene.
For this time, I chose to stir fried bok choy because I was super hungry, and I wanted something fast to fulfill my hunger. Yes! It is fast and easy, and it will be ready (for an empty stomach lady which was me) in 15 minutes.
- ⦁ 6 bok choy heads ( 2 heads, if you use the big ones.)
- ⦁ 1 package extra firm tofu (14 oz.)
- ⦁ 4 - 5 crushed garlic cloves
- ⦁ 2 tbsp ginger strips
- ⦁ 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- ⦁ 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a wok or pan. Add crushed garlic in the wok after the oil is hot.
- Throw extra firm tofu in the wok after the garlic turns gold.
- Stir the tofu regularly for about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Then add bok choy and ginger strips, follow with low sodium soy sauce.
- Stir fry about 4 - 5 minutes or until the bok choy is soft.
- Serve it with steamed brown rice or red ruby rice. Hmmm!! Yum!!
Don't cook bok choy too long!! It can lose some of the nutrients by the heat.